Wednesday 7 February 2007

Confessions of a book geek

I'm currently waiting on a book delivery. if you ask Liam that involves me sitting with a smile of anticipation like a kid before Christmas. While I am waiting and to whet my own appetite as much as anyone else's I thought I might take the liberty of noting down ten desert island books today. I could recommend more but I'll try and provide a good spread of material.

For the Pastor- Dear Timothy by Tom Ascol (or Brothers, We are not Professionals by Piper)

For the Prayer- Call to Spiritual Reformation by Don Carson (or Prayer by O Hallesby)

For the Living- Practice of Godliness by Jerry Bridges (or Knowing God by J. I. Packer)

For the Reflecting- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life (or Puritan Reformed Spirituality by Beeke)

For the Preacher- Preaching and Preachers by D. M. Lloyd-Jones (or Lectures to My Students by Spurgeon).

For the Leader- Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders (or City on a Hill by Philip Ryken)

For the Missionary (to any culture)- Radical Reformission by Mark Driscoll (or Where in the World is the Church by Michael Horton)

For the drifting- Cross-centred life by C. J. Mahaney (or Loving Christ by Stowell)

For the theologian (we should all want to be theologians, convinced that it is not dry material but ballast in our boat)- Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem (or The Holiness of God by R. C. Sproul)

... and just because- Mortification of Sin by John Owen. (or Religious Affections by Edwards)

No comments: